Sunday, March 11, 2012

Album Review

Big K.R.IT.-4Eva N A Day
I picked this up about a week ago after seeing The Needle Drop's review of it. Big K.R.I.T. has been on a row, three mix tapes and every one better then the next, building anticipation for his Def Jam debut later on this year. Big is bringing back some class and sophistication to southern rap that has been missing for quite some time. This is by far my favorite of his mixtapes and has the potential to be my hip-hop AOTY, depending on how much more I warm up to it. This one is noticeably darker and more introspective then his previous releases. You can hear it in everything including the production, which he does himself. That's right he's the trifecta- He raps, sings, and produces his own music and does all these things very well. Big has some musicians come in a play live instrumentals to capture a certain aesthetic there is live saxophone played on "Wake Up"   and live guitar played on "Me and My Old School" and "Insomnia". On the introspective side of things the songs that cut the deepest are "Boobie Miles", "Red Eye", "Package Store", "Handwriting"  and "The Alarm". This of course balanced out with a few party tracks here and there. "Me and My Old School", "1986", "Down and Out", these are all extremely solid party tracks. I could honestly see "4Eva N A Day (Theme)" being radio friendly. The only track I could really do without is "Yesterday", it just seems kinda repetitive to me. 
8.8/10 

For Fans of: Outkast, Kid Cudi, Kanye West  (Maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment