Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Single Mothers-S/T
Jeremy from Touche Amore recently signed this band to his Deathwish Inc. backed label "Secret Voice". That's great and all but I'm not really sure how to feel about this release.  Don't get me wrong this a fun punk rock album, I look at it the same way I do Joyce Manor, in that it's not supposed to be music that takes itself super seriously. The recording on this is quite fuzzy and and lo-fi at times, I would guess to build an old fashioned punk aesthetic. Most of the lyrics are about partying, girls, and stereotypes and cliches that most of us that like this style of music fall victim to. " All the girls at this party, they're into drama and Ginesburg and lemon-lime Bacardi. They're into Elliott Smith and trying to get know everybody" is a good example of this being kind of being a satire, if I can throw that word around loosely. This all before he calls himself a "Bukowski drunk" and saying he's "Falling over" part of me cringes at this and part of me knows this is accurate in most cases. That's the first half of this EP. The other is songs about girls, one talking about a one night stand saying he's "just looking for a good time". And the other is about leaving his hometown with a girl. This album has some cool southern rock guitar parts but other then that nothing really stands out. You'll like if you just for something a little fun.
7.5
For Fans Of: Touche Amore// Joyce Manor// Sloppy Punk Rock


No comments:

Post a Comment