Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hampshire- Spring, Sit Beside Me
At the aforementioned house show I also viewed this band, Hampshire, who played before Things Fall Apart. I was also impressed by them, I hadn't previously heard of them. I bought two Eps and the new full length for like $3 or something. If you're heart craves the sappiness of early 00's emo bands like The Promise Ring and The Get Up Kids. This music is pretty damn sappy, especially the track "Only On The Weekends". The emo comparison is purely in the lyrics and guitar work. Another dominating factor in this kid's music is how piano driven it is. I would say that the piano is just as prominent as the guitars or vocals. This will obviously drive comparisons to Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate and The Rocket Summer. And like those bands, quite a bit of the songs a super catchy, "Michigan Ave." comes to mind for this. So in the end we get a promising record that makes me wonder how much he can progress on the new record.He is opening for Into it. Over It. on March 2nd, witness this for yourself.
7/10
For Fans of:Andrew Mcmahon, The Get Up Kids, The Rocket Summer





No comments:

Post a Comment