Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Young Fathers-Tape One
Surprisingly this my first rap review because it's one of my favorite genres. Experimental/Alternative rap even more so. Three MCs from London is what "Young Fathers" consists of. So much to say about this mixed tape. I'll start with the production because it's the biggest deal and my favorite part of it. It sticks to a 90's low-fi style but throws you a curve ball or two. Everything is so muddy and distorted and wet. Some of these synth parts I could see being used on a Grizzly Bear/ Animal Collective track, that's how psychedelic they can be. Lots of influences flying everywhere. Reggae, indie, electronic, it's all here and it's a mess in a hell of a good way. What I can compare this group to is a less harsh, abrasive, Death Grips, if you can remember how strange that mix tape was last year. Now the rapping. Solid hooks, could honestly see a few of these songs on a commercial or something. There's no lack of substance either. A lot of stuff about fathers leaving their sons and just the relationships with people work. So far I think this is my favorite rap release this year.
8.5
For Fans of: a dirtier produced early Kid Cudi, Death Grips


No comments:

Post a Comment